Edited by Joyce and Moon

What do you think about mobile phones? Do you use it for communication and entertainment, or does it facilitate you in other fields too? The use of technologies in education and training is far from new. This blog post discusses the emerging MALL by using the article of  Chinnery, G.M (2006).

Introduction

As technologies keep on evolving, their propensity starts to shrink in size. Portable media like mobile phones, MP4, iPods are now social staples. Mobile learning, or m-learning, is a burgeoning segment of the e-learning movement.

Mobile Assisted Language Learning has been an unavoidable trend in education. Though scholars emphasize putting the learner before technology and oppose “technology-driven pedagogy” (Salaberry, 2001), technologies like mobile or otherwise can be instrumental in language learning. Three MALL applications—using cell phones, personal digital assistants, and portable digital audio players—are illustrated next.

Cell Phones

Since their inception, the dimensions of cell phones have waned as their abilities have waxed. Phones share common features in having Internet access, voice-messaging, SMS text-messaging, cameras, and even video-recording, which enable communicative language practice, access to authentic content, and task completion.

Stanford Learning Lab (Brown, 2001) used voice and email in cell phones to explore their use in the Spanish study. Statistics from vocabulary quizzes and performance in live talking indicated that mobile phones were effective for automated voice vocabulary lessons and spoken language. Also, feedback from students showed that cell phones’ tiny screen sizes were helpful in review and practice in convenient ways.

An innovative project centering on providing vocabulary instruction by SMS (Thornton and Houser, 2003; 2005) in a Japanese University showed that the SMS students learned over twice the number of vocabulary words as the Web students. Also, the attitudes of SMS students were changed and the students were highly motivated. Thus,  cell phones, as a form of push media, promote frequent rehearsal and spaced study, and utilize recycled vocabulary. Mobile phones are also regarded as useful language learning tools in task-based learning (Kiernan and Aizawa, 2004).

Mobile learning engages new kinds of learners in a time and place of their preference (Godwin-Jones, 2005; Kadyte, 2004; Kukulska-Hulme, 2005). For instance, moblogging, an amalgam of mobile learning and weblogging, offers the potential to expound language creation and collaborative activities by removing time and place boundaries, and adding authentic and personal visual content.

The essential motivating factors in mobile language learning are portability, convenience and immediacy. While the applications of cell phones have typically been pedagogic in nature, they have also been used for practical or administrative matters, such as simplified and flexible student-teacher communications and referrals to related websites and other up-to-date instructional resources (Levy & Kennedy, 2005).

PDAs

Personal digital assistants (PDAs) are more associated with m-learning than cell phones. One of the main functions of PDAs in language learning is to serve as a translator. Myers (2000) made numerous observations to evaluate the gains of Chinese learners of English using handheld translators. One of the observations is that students quickly improved their spelling with the help of the translator.

More elaborate language learning software programs have been created for PDAs. Garcia Cabrere (2002), for example, evaluated a business Spanish course developed for smart-phones, exercises,encompassing video clips and a glossary. Students in the course were reported to be particularly motivated and impressed by the video and multimedia functions.

PDAs provide other uses including Internet and wireless access. Therefore, file-sharing between teachers and students and amongst students themselves becomes available. What’s more, handwriting appears as a standard feature of these devices. However, Beatty (2003) believes that the ability to accommodate voice recognition plays an important role in the future success of PDAs.

iPods

Digital audio files (e.g., MP3s) provide high-quality sound in a compressed format. The most renowned one is Apple’s iPod, the latest version of which provides audio functionality as well as video.

Other applications of Apple’s iPod in language learning have been explored. For example, iPods were used by students in a Spanish class to submit audio assignments and respond to verbal quizzes. What’s more, a Turkish class used iPods to listen to authentic materials such as the news and poems, and to the instructor’s translations (Belanger, 2005).

Apple’s iPod has also developed a new form of media called podcasting, a portmanteau that combines iPod and broadcasting. Audio blogs or podcasts are downloadable broadcasts with RSS (really simple syndication) feeds that allow listeners to subscribe. Podcasting has already been widely utilized in language learning, both to access authentic materials and to record them. For instance, Englishcaster provides a series of podcasts which were specifically created for English language learners.

Benefits and Challenges

Mobile technologies obviously provide numerous practical uses in language learning. One of the benefits of mobile technologies is that they’re less expensive than standard equipment, such as PCs. The portability of mobile media is another advantage. In addition, learners can study or practice manageable amounts of information in any place on their own time, which makes learning convenient for learners. Ultimately, these benefits indicate that MALL has the potential to expand social inclusion in language learning.

Notwithstanding its benefits, MALL also poses challenges. For instance, inherent in the portability of mobile media are limited audiovisual quality, smaller screen sizes, virtual keyboarding and and limited battery. What’s more, the availability can be limited. The costs for educational institutions to purchase them en masse may be staggering. Other potential drawbacks include limited message lengths, limited nonverbal communications and potentially limited social interaction. While mobile technologies are developing, their output is moving from verbal to visual, which is obviously a disadvantage for language learning (Colpaert, 2004). Connection problems can also be a concern; web-based language learners might have limited online connection times, or they may not have access at all.

Questions:

1.  Have you ever experienced MALL? How effective was it?
  2.  Will you integrate it into language teaching and in what form would you use it?
  3.  What do you think of the three MALL applications mentioned above? Can you think of any other examples?

43 thoughts on “Going to the MALL: Mobile Assisted Language Learning

1. Thank you for your sharing🌹! Personally, I recommend the app called “BBC iPlayer Radio” to all English learners.

Firstly, various kinds of live broadcasts are provided. If you want to know the latest news around the world, choose “BBC World Service”. If you are interested in drama or literature, turn to “BBC Radio 4”. If you prefer English songs, you will be a big fan of “BBC Radio 2”. Briefly speaking, different types of topics or themes are available there.

Secondly, learners can obtain authentic materials. The majority of programmes are recorded by native speakers and they have different accents, which may help learners to adapt to the language environment in the real world.

Thirdly, learners might not feel bored about English learning because, on the one hand, they have the chance to choose materials they love, and on the other hand, they are offered knowledge or information constantly updated.

Perhaps teachers can ask the students to follow one of the channels, listen to the radio programme for fifteen to twenty minutes every day, summarize the main ideas, and share with peers online.

• Thanks a lot for your sharing, Amanda!

Well, after reading your comment, I download the app, and yes, it is really good. I love the music part very much, it recommend a lot of beautiful songs hhh, thanks again.

• Thank you Amanda!
      I also download the APP after your comment! I think this one is really good!

• Thanks for recommending this great APP, Amanda.
      I think APPs like this will help students a lot and also give teachers more ideas in teaching. Students will be actively involved in learning and they take the main role in the process, which caters to our new educational concept.

• 😄 Amazing sharing!
      I’ve also downloaded the app BBC iplayer Radio. I really enjoy it.
      Thank you for your recommendation!

2. Thanks for your sharing!

I have not you experienced MALL officially but I have formed some what’s app group with my students. The functions of those group are to answer students’ questions about English homework and exam, introduce them some news and video clips to widen their exposure to English as well as ask them to make recordings in English to me. I think it was convenient and effective as I can just reach them directly and interact with them closely with the aid of mobile phones only, no other required devices.

But I don’t think I will integrate it into my language teaching officially as my school’s wifi network and IT support are not powerful enough. And I think mobile phone is not a good learning tool for students in the lessons. If the students are allowed to use their mobile phones in lessons, I am quite sure that my junior form students will feel so excited and their excitement will let them ignore my instructions and warnings and start to secretly explore some social media network. So, as mentioned above, I would like to use mobile phones as a supplement of learning Englisn outside the classroom.

• For language teachers, classroom management/discipline is always a big concern when it comes to the decisions of adopting any teaching approach in the lessons. It is true that students are out of control easily when they are given a mobile device. Some teachers, thus, avoid using this type of tools in the lessons. They consider the devices as supplementary tools for students’ language learning.

3. Thanks for sharing! I did have experienced MALL and I think it is so convenient and effective to learn with mobile devices. Utilizing MALL for language teaching is a good idea for activating students to learn and practice English after class with mobile help.

For example, secondary students should spend more time on speaking practice outside classroom for the importance of speaking exam. Some apps like Aboboo on mobile can give them a platform to do more speaking exercises without the restriction of space and time. Both parents and teacher can also monitor the process and result of students’ language practice homework after class.

As for me, cell phone is the best choice for it is more commonly used and nerely every person may have a mobile phone in the hand, MALL becomes faster and easier for practicing English wherever students are. What’s more, I think the use of Kindle is also a new way for reading some foreign books online more conveniently which can make students have more chances and accesses to get to know foreign knowledge and practice reading skill in target language.

• Thank you Mandy! I use kindle too to read English books and I think it does help a lot for its portability and rich resources. I may recommend the app Aboboo you have mentioned above to other English learners later (*^▽^*)

4. Thanks for sharing~
    Actually, I think it has gradually become a trend for students to integrate the MALL with their own learning. As you’ve mentioned, its benefits are obvious. For example, there are various kinds of apps designed for different leaning purposes, which can be downloaded in the application store. Once you’ve downloaded these apps on your phone, you can learn at any time, any place. And if an app is well designed, and the learner has a clear learning goal, I think it is easy for s/he to utilize the recourses provided to make constant progress.

And I’ve experienced Mobile Assisted Language Learning, and the device I used is Kindle, which is a mobile reading device produced by Amazon. Personally, I think the greatest advantages of Kindle is its portability, its large storage, and its ample online book resources. Every time before I go for a trip, I would pick some books in the online store, and download them. In this way, I can make use of the time on my way to the destination to read. Honestly, I don’t have a regular time for reading. But travel with Kindle has become a habit for me. And I’ve read most books in this way.

So, based on my own experience, I think one important point is to find your own way of combining MALL with your daily life and form a habit. Only when you find the way you like using MALL, you can gain more benefits from it.

• Celia, I also think the formation of a habit related to MALL is important for learners to learn a language. Mine was a little different: I listened to different audiobooks and English video clips through different apps on my mobile phone on my way to the workplace, home or/and campus of CityU. After a period of time, I found the progress was quite impressive.

• I strongly agree that combining MALL with own experience and forming a habit are important. Once learners relate the apps to their own preferences, they are more willing to learn and explore new ideas. Even though some apps are not that practical, once they love, they will tune their pace and find own learning style which benefit their study. With the combination, they gain motivation and autonomy, which will then form a habit lasting long.

• I agree with you Celia~I do think that nowadays students are more more familiar with MALL and willing to apply it to language learning. You all have mentioned that reading in Kindle is your habit on your way along the trip and my habit is to watch movie along the trip. I didn’t realized that it benefited my listening skill and helped me to learn some authentic usage of everyday talk until I said some difficult vocabulary which were not taught in class when I was in junior school.

I think MALL might be able to implement in many cities in China. Nowadays, not only the technology but also a open-minded environment are there in developed cities in China. Many parents and teachers are aware of the affordances and the importance of MALL. Therefore, they would like to encourage students to utilize MALL for their language learning.

5. Thank you for your sharing!
    Mobile Assisted Language Learning is very useful with a growing number of useful apps to facilitate our learning.
    In TOEFL, we choose to use an app called “TOEFL 120(托福考满分)”. It contains all TPO tasks which makes it convenient for teachers and students to do practice and module test. It automatically gives out the result of reading and listening immediately after the students finish it.
    Secondly, it helps with students’ intensive reading and listening after practice. They can create their own vocabulary book online and add unknown words to it.
    What’s more, there are specific categorizes on the app. Take listening as an example, since there are lectures with different topics in TOEFL listening, and teachers prefer to give courses according to different topics, so this app helps teachers a lot. And students can do practice on their weak subjects.So this app is quite popular among teachers and students.

• Thank you Iris! I agree with you that more and more apps are playing a role of learning facilitator. I have also used some apps to prepare for the IELTS and they did help a lot in particular in the speaking test. The app “TOEFL 120” you recommended may be very helpful for those of us who are attending the TOEFL ! ^▽^

6. Thanks for your sharing=)

MALL has been a very useful tool for learners. The tutor in a short-term course highly recommended some apps downloadable on mobile phones or Ipad to listen to audiobooks. I took his advice and downloaded one of the suggested apps: Ximalaya. I have listened to different audiobooks via this app and noticed slightly different pronunciations of the same letter combinations. Also, the people who read aloud the books are from different countries and thus have different accents. It allows learners to experience English varieties. However, since all users can upload their recordings to the app, learners have to be careful to choose audiobooks with accurate pronunciation as their listening materials.

• Fannie, I downloaded the app Ximalaya too. I also find that audiobooks have different accents and stresses. When I am doing other things and play it to create a language environment, I find I remember little due to the various accents. But I admit, it provides channels for us to read different books and listen to programmes. In total, I enlarge my scope of knowledge. Apps like this do help me a lot.

• Moon, the app is quite useful for learners to adapt to different English accents. However, users have to choose audiobooks carefully to ensure that they are accurate.

7. I used to use electric dictionary when I learned German, at that time I believe that using electric dictionary can help me a lot. However, maybe it is my problem, I think the major benefit of electric dictionary is that the words and phrases in there is accurate but it is really not convenient for me at all. For example, since it is not intelligent, some new words cannot be found there.

However, as for smartphones, I think it is good for language learners only if they can use appropriate apps and I want to recommend another MALL, that is KINDLE. It is a good device for people who love reading, there are a lot of functions in it. For language learners, it is helpful to read for learning language, and in KINDLE, when you read like English books, you can check the unknown word meaning by pressing the words for a few seconds. And the device will collect all the words that you have looked up which is like a vocabulary list providing for you to learn.

• Thank you Jean! I agree with you that people need to choose appropriate apps since different apps have different focus and benefits.So spending some time choosing a “good” app is very necessary. ^▽^

8. Thanks for your group’s sharing.
    It reminds me of my experience in the MALL in high school. My teachers had some QQ groups which include our parents and us in the classroom. They usually upload some learning files on it. Compared to the traditional way of sharing these resources in class, sharing learning files on QQ group does not restrict by distance and time, teachers can share anything and any types of files, like video, tape, they thought that benefit for them. Besides, QQ group allow anyone to speak anonymously, students who are shy or not sure about what he says can talk using anonymity function.
    However, if I were a teacher, I will not apply MALL in class, because it is hard to supervise whether they are using the tools for study or entertainment, I will use it as an assistant tool to facilitate students’ actively talking, communicating with parents for me out the class.

• Thanks for commenting. Based on my experience in using Wechat groups to contact with parents, this is a good way to inform parents of the teaching process and also update teaching materials. While I think students are not actively involved in the groups. Parents usually tell students the changes but seldom allow students to keep close touch with phones.
      And I agree that though cell phones can facilitate the teaching, if not used properly or with loose management, the students can be easily distracted and the learning outcomes are not satisfying.

9. Thanks for your sharing!!
    Your post reminds me of the experience of MALL when I prepared the speaking tasks for IELTS. I was recommended to download an APP called BBC 6 Minutes on my mobile phone. I could choose a passage that I was interested in and listened to it when I was on my way to the institution, and then I was asked to summarize and make comments on the text in the speaking class.
    There are several affordances of this method:
    a) I can make full use of the time when I was on my way to somewhere. Normally, I cannot read or write on the bus because it is always crowded. However, as the App is kind of broadcast, I can listen to the conversation with my earphones.
    b) I can learn the intonation and stress by imitating the conversation, which is helpful for developing my speaking skills.
    c) It can be a tool for vocabulary learning because anchors will select and elaborate some language patterns based on the context. Also, I can check the script of the passage and see the spelling of those words.
    I think I may not integrate MALL into formal classes but I strongly recommend that those tools can be used as complements of school education. However, teachers should assess the quality of input before they introduce them to students.

10. Thanks for sharing!
    I believe most of language learners ever use MALL to practice and improve their language learning. I once download the app called “Yi Xue Guan(译学馆)”, which provides numerous learning videos about different kinds of subjects for users, and allow users to be the interpreters and translators. Through this app, I could engage in the process of interpreting the scripts and subtitles for some TV show or TED Talk I like. It’s fun to be someone behind the video contributing to the translation. I can improve my listening, writing and translation skills at the same time. And especially when you finish interpretaing a whole few minutes video, you will definitely be so proud and have a sense of achievement.

I think I will implement MALL into language teaching in classroom, beginning from simple and easy tasks, such as dubbing for funny videos and listening to news. But the classroom management may be a difficult challenge for teachers.

11. Thanks for your group’s sharing!

Apart from using MALL for language learning, I also used it for preparing my teacher test organized by the government. Since I have enrolled the lesson in an agency, the agency has created an app in which they have uploaded the videos that record a list of lecturers’ lesson in the class. So learners could study whenever they want even though they are on the subway. It’s effective as learners could review the videos for so many times.

I would integrate mobile learning into language teaching by operating certain apps like what the agency did so that the mobile learning could combine the learning content with school curriculum. Also, the system of implementation should be enhanced to ensure the learning efficiency.

12. Thanks for your sharing.
    Actually, when I was young, I used BBK(步步高) learning machine for my English learning. At beginning, I was quite interested in using all the apps in the learning machine, which also motivated me in language learning. It could read my text books, play some teaching videos, look up for words, etc. However, at that time, the learning machine was not advanced enough and it needed to be updated often and all the materials for download was a bit limited. Then I gradually lost my interests and finally, the learning machine became my MP4 and was only used for listening to music and watching videos. When I get older, apps in mobile phones become more useful in my language learning and it allows me to learn at anytime and anywhere.
    I think the effectiveness of MALL depends on learner themselves. If the learner has self-discipline and could form good habits of using MALL, it could be very useful for improvement in learning.
    For teachers, integrating MALL into language teaching could be challenging because it is hard for teachers to monitor the process and make sure students are using MALL for learning instead of entertaining. A clear guidance assisted with monitoring system might be useful for teachers who want to use MALL in teaching, especially for in-class teaching.

13. Thanks for your sharing! I think mobile and laptop are used frequently for daily learning life. It is convenient for learners to get some information through those two elctronics. There are many apps which can be downloaded for language learning. So it is flexible for learners to learn anything no matter where they and no matter what they are doing. And it is easy to carry. As for laptop, it is more suitable for finishing some tasks: make files or do PPT. Laptops offer opportunities for learners to complete the task more systematically. Both two have their advantages.

14. I have used some phone apps for assisstance but I don’t think it works effectively for me. Maybe because of the very limited type of Apps that most of apps focus on vocabulary. I think phone is actually often used as a tool to have access to Internet. That means internet is the one that we use for language learning, not the phone. It makes the internet access easier regardless of time and place. Developing better language learning apps is the improvement we can do with mobile learning.
    I will use vocabulary apps and dubbing apps to help elementary learners to keep interest to the target language. After the elementary stage, I think it is the learners who decide how to use phones to get more language materials.

15. Thank you for your sharing, the structure is very clear! I have bought a PDA when I was in high school and I thought it was really helpful. Even these days, my students still tend to use CDAs like Casio CDA to assist their language learning. The reason why I think is helpful is that it consists of numerous printed dictionaries, like Oxford English dictionary, Collins Dictionary and even dictionaries of other languages. Compared to apps on mobile phones, it is more detailed and gives a lot of examples. In addition to that, students cannot play elaborate digital games by using it so they are less likely to be distracted and are more likely to be taken into the class. Meanwhile, the social function is not very strong unlike computers or mobiles, so students can use them when reading and writing wholeheartedly.

16. Thank you for sharing! I think it is actually a convenient and popular way to learn language through MALL as mobiles are common in people’s daily. It is a good way for autonomous learners to adopt MALL to learning as there are various apps designed for language learning, like Sanbay English. People can actually choose one app that suitable for them and they can make use of every spare moment to learn language through their phones, which is quite convenient. However, when it comes to classroom teaching, I think it may be difficult to implement MALL as it is not easy to inspect the learning process of the students, especially the young learners, as students could be easily distracted by other functions or apps when they use the mobiles. Therefore, I may not include MALL in my language teaching, but I will recommend some useful learning materials or apps offered by the mobiles to my students and let them try after class ( the young learners should use mobile to learn with the help of their parents maybe) .

17. I haven’t experienced MALL but I do agree the benefits you have mentioned in the post.

However, I don’t think I will integrate it into my language teaching. There are couples of reasons. First of all, there are too many functions in the mobile phone that can distract students’ attention in learning. I need to spend more time on class management if they are allowed to use their own device. Secondly, the servers and wifi network in my school cannot support more than 20 devices to access to the Internet at the same time. I had such a terrible experience last year. After distributing the iPads, students used more than half of the lesson to login to certain apps. At the moment, it is not a desirable way to language learning in the classroom in my school.

However, I think it can be a very useful tool for promoting learner autonomy. By introducing different apps, reference tools and website, students can learn the language according to their own interest and learning styles.

18. Thanks for your sharing. Looking back to my previous learning experiences, I think I’ve used all the three types of MALL, and I think cell phones are most effective and comprehensive one among them. For PDAs, there’s used to be a very popular equipment named “Wenquxing” which can help learners translate and do some simple drills for English. Moreover, it provides some interesting knowledge for other subjects like Chinese, history. However, those types of equipment are quite out-of-date now, as a mobile phone with several different apps perfectly replace all the functions. And I once used i Pods to listen to English recordings, or even the recordings of my own voice to help me correct my pronunciation. They were quite helpful, but again, can be replaced by a mobile phone.

But I think there’s a big disadvantage of mobile phones too, that is it has too many functions which may distract students’, especially young learners’, attention. And I believe it is one important reason why most schools prohibit the use of MP in campus. Under such circumstance, those traditional PDAs with only aim for study can be displayed on the stage again.

• Yes, Zoe, the many functions on pads might have negative effects on students focuses. But if we deliberately reduce the functions, it may also degrade students interests in using them. Additionally, these kinds of devices with fewer functions usually had an ugly screen background and too monotonous contents. Maybe the developers and educators need more careful design and usage, which may lead to a positive result.

19. Thank you for your awesome blog post I really enjoyed reading it.
    The MALL has definitely contributed on my experience of language learning. When I was preparing for IELTS, i used IELTS Bro which is an amazing app for sharing your learning strategies and your experiences. Way before that, I used vocabulary apps to learn new words. When I was in high school, my English was so bad that I failed most English exams, no joke. Then I was lucky to encounter an app called kik where I could talk to native speakers (texting). Well it is not a learning app but it is a communicative tool where English speakers would use. It has changed the game for me. After a month of using the app to talk to native speakers constantly, my grades went up enormously because of the app that I was able to improve English with the real conversations with real native speakers. Thankful for that. It has absolutely a lot of benefits if you know how to take advantage of it.

20. Thanks for your sharing! Of course, I’ve used MALL, I’ve used language learning apps, PC, etc. When I was in high school, iPods and iPad were very popular, and I used the excuse ‘I need to learn English’ to persuade my parents to buy them for me. Indeed, I downloaded some English learning apps, but I have to admit that the recreational function was more attractive to me.
    In my future teaching, I will try to use MALL, and I hope that kids now have already got used to it so that their attention can focus on my instruction.

21. Thanks for your sharing!
    I think MALL is very useful for some adult learners. Because most of the adult learners are very busy, and they don’t have a long period for studying. Also bring a book with them is also a little bit unconvient for them. But MALL can be used whenever they are free. They can read the book as they are taking the bus. And they can listen to some English songs when they feel tired. MALL can be also used to create a language environment if they want. What’s more it is light and easy to take. Thanks to MALL, learning is not constrained to sitting in front of table. we can do it whenever we want.

22. Thanks for your sharing!
    MALL has many benefits. and i found it very convient for adults learner. Since most adult learner are very busy and has many things to do every day, they may not have a long consistant period for studying. And it is a little bit unconvient for them to always bring a book with them. But, MALL can be used anytime, and it is easy to Take. They can use it read a passage when they are waiting for a bus, or listen to the English song when they feel tired. They can also used it to create a language environment if they want.

23. Thanks for your sharing!
    MALL has many benefits. and i found it very convient for adults learner. Since most adult learner are very busy and has many things to do every day, they may not have a long consistant period for studying. And it is a little bit unconvient for them to always bring a book with them. But, MALL can be used anytime, and it is easy to Take. They can use it read a passage when they are waiting for a bus, or listen to the English song when they feel tired. They can also used it to creat a language environment if they want.

24. Thank you for your sharing! Well, I have used MALL in my language learning process and I admit that it’s very effective. The most common-used APP is an electronic dictionary which really saves time for me to know the meaning of new vocabularies. And when I prepared for the IELTS test, I was quite dependent on those IELTS learning APPs because their functions were comprehensive which could meet my specific learning needs. I think the application of MALL is a obvious trend since it can offer more considerate functions.
    besides, I think PDAs and IPod of the three applications of MALL you mentioned are not popular any more since their functions can be replaced by mobile phones. I think nowadays more and more people use IPad for learning, including me! it’s quite convenient hahahah.

25. Thanks for your sharing. I’ve used MALL in my language learning process such as IELTSBro and Quizlet. For me , i do think that those kinds of APPs is convenient and effective for me or some of the self-learners because I can use it whenever I want and wherever I am. And the MALL has become more multifunctional that fulfills different leaners’ needs.

26. Thanks for your group’s nice sharing!
    I think that mobile phones can facilitate our learning and studying as long as we are self-disciplined and motivated. I have tried some apps to learn vocabulary. Also what matters is that opportunity is in our hands, which means that we can choose the apps we interest and make good use of them.
    We can use break downs to learn regardless the constraint of time and place.

27. I learned basic Japanese without teachers, simply through the help of an app established by the textbook. It is very effective cause it facilitates me memorizing the writing, pronounciation and short interactive sentences. I consider it a very effective approach in learning foreign languages.
    As far as I know, there are many teachers applying MALL in their classroom. I also implemented it into my teaching. I used an app called “Banyu Picture Books”, on which students can listen to stories and read after the videos. They can even share their readings to the book on social medias. Through this process, students can read more language learning materials and gain condidences.